It’s that time of the year–another winter storm is upon us here in Eastern Massachusetts. As your local insurance agent, we feel it’s our duty to relay some guidance on how to prepare for the inclement weather and prevent a claim on your homeowner’s insurance during this potentially hazardous Nor’easter.
- Be sure to place generators outside to avoid any potential for carbon monoxide to enter the home or building.
- Have batteries and alternative light sources available and ensure that cell phones remain fully charged, in the event of power loss.
- Safely use a snow rake to remove existing snow from roof edges and gutters.
- Take photographs of any damage caused by the recent, prior storms which you have not yet had the opportunity to repair
- Natural gas users should closely inspect areas around and over gas meters, service hook-ups, and vents for ice and snow that could damage equipment or prevent CO from properly venting.
- We strongly suggest you check to ensure any sump pumps are plugged in and operational.
- Move as many contents off the floor of your basement as possible.
- Ensure all windows and doors are fully closed and secured.
Hopefully, these tips will help you get the most out of your coverage in the case of a loss, or prevent you from having one altogether. As always, Phil Richard Insurance is happy to answer any questions you may have before, during, and after the storm.
If you have a question, you can contact us here.