Condo Association Master Insurance Policy

Get A QuoteReview Our Current Coverage

Condo Association Master Insurance Overview

Condo master insurance is specifically written to meet the needs of each individual condominium association. Depending on the layout and features of a complex, the association will have different needs.

There are many condominium complexes in Massachusetts, both on the North Shore and around Boston. Each complex contains individual units and common areas. While condo owners are usually responsible for covering their individual units, condo associations are typically responsible for finding the proper insurance to cover communal areas such as: landscaping, fencing, indoor common areas, the structure of the building, walkways, exterior features, pools, fitness centers, and other amenities.

Condominium Association Master Insurance Policy Key Facts

  • Most condo master insurance policies provide liability and property coverage for the public areas that they insure. Liability coverage can help pay legal expenses and settlements associated with suits filed against the condo association over covered accidents. This may include slips, falls, and similar accidents. Additionally, property coverage can help protect areas from damage caused by covered hazards, such as vandalism, fire, burglaries and other incidents.

  • A bare “walls-in” insurance policy normally covers the structure (walls, ceiling, floor, not including any decorative features such as paint) of a condo and, sometimes, the electrical and plumbing.

  • “Single entity” policies can add coverage for standard features, such as carpeting, cabinets, and countertops.

  • “Modified single entity” policies generally include all of the above coverage plus protection for upgraded features, such as granite countertops or hardwood floors.

Are you in need of flood insurance as well? Click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who Pays the Condo Association Insurance?
Whoever owns the insurance policy. Condo association insurance policies are typically purchased by the association, so they submit premium payments. Most condo associations in Massachusetts however, pass this cost to condo owners. It’s common for associations to include a condo association’s yearly premiums.
Who pays the master policy deductible?
Condo association policies’ deductibles, are paid by the policy owner, which is usually the condo association, but can be passed onto condo owners. Because it’s impossible to know when a claim will be filed and the deductible must be paid, they aren’t typically included in annual assessments.
How are deductibles collected for the condo association?
The cost of a deductible is often passed onto condo owners through a special assessment, which can generally be assessed at any time of year. Because condo association policy costs are frequently passed onto unit owners, condo associations in Massachusetts should clearly communicate how much condo owners might be assessed.
Should the the condo association inform owners of their deductible ahead of time?
Owners want to know how the policy premiums will impact their annual assessment and how much a special assessment for a deductible might be. Communicating the details helps owners financially prepare for any assessments they might have to pay. Additionally, there are “loss assessment” endorsements available for the unit owners on their individual policies that they should have ahead of time.

See what our clients have to say:

I Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy working with Jackie Montes. She’s the best! She’s efficient, professional, and always on the ball. It’s a pleasure to deal with her!! She has helped me out tremendously with getting all our insurance requirements for the Compliance Depot (nightmare!) and I can always count on her to get my COI out in a timely manner. I never have to worry about anything when I deal with her.

Excellent staff member!!

Tina W. April 19, 2017

Get A Quote

At Phil Richard Insurance, we don’t believe in wasted time or money. If you’re here, you’re looking for savings, advice, and options. We provide all three. Please fill out the form below and someone will be in touch with you shortly.

Get A Quote
Address *
Street Name




27 Garden Street

Unit 1B
Danvers, MA 01923




Office Hours

Monday: 9am – 4:30pm

Tuesday: 9am – 4:30pm

Wednesday: 9am – 4:30pm

Thursday: 9am – 4:30pm

Friday: 9am – 4:30pm

Sat – Sun: Closed




peabody area chamber of commerce
home insurance peabody ma
business insurance peabody ma